By Denise Valenzuela
Posted in Uncategorized
In the past few year synthetic turf has caught on like wildfire for commercial and residential applications. Turf is used all over the world for a variety of purposes. It is most often used in arenas for sports that were originally or are normally played on grass. However, it is now being used on residential lawns and commercial applications as well. The main reason is maintenance—artificial turf stands up to heavy use, such as in sports, and requires no irrigation or trimming. Domed, covered, and partially covered stadiums may require artificial turf because of the difficulty of getting grass enough sunlight to stay healthy.
For sporting uses turf has been installed for professional Baseball stadiums (MLB), Football (NFL) stadiums, Field Hockey arenas and Soccer fields all over the globe. Artificial turf first came to prominence in 1966, when AstroTurf was installed in the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. The state-of-the-art indoor stadium had attempted to use natural grass during its initial season in 1965, but this failed miserably and the field conditions were grossly inadequate during the second half of the season, with the dead grass painted green. Due to a limited supply of the new artificial grass, only the infield was installed before the Houston Astros’ home opener in April 1966, the outfield was installed in early summer during an extended Astros road trip and first used after the All-Star Break in July.
Other sports have adopted synthetic turf applications – some European Ski and Snowboard resorts have installed turf surfaces for its ability to be used in warm, sunny, conditions, these installations have become increasingly common. Synthetic turf can also be used in the golf industry such as using them on driving ranges, putting greens and even in some circumstances tee boxes.
Another very popular application for synthetic turf is around airports. Artificial turf has several advantages over natural grass for use at airports that include:
- Rescue and firefighting vehicles can reliably drive on the artificial surface, as can planes that veer off the runway.
- Artificial turf provides no food, shelter, or water for wildlife, reducing the risk of wildlife colliding with planes.
- Artificial turf is always bright green, even in winter, and provides good visual contrast with runways and taxiways.
- Artificial turf will not wash away or become muddy, and helps to stabilize runway and taxiway shoulders.
- Less maintenance means fewer workers need security clearances, there is less chance of runway incursions by maintenance machines, and may reduce costs.
- Erosion from aircraft maneuvering and baggage handling vehicles is much reduced.
At Five Star Commercial Turf we have a long list of commercial clients many of which are in the hospitality industries. Synthetic grass offers many advantages for Hotels – we offer great long lasting turf with a real ROI. Give your hotel, spa, or resort the outdoor aesthetic it deserves. For more information contact us today.